Liposuction – Healthy eating and proper exercise is typically the formula for a fit and well-proportioned body. Unfortunately for some people, no matter how much effort they put in, their body reaches a threshold and certain areas remain disproportionate. Sometimes, these disproportionate areas can be caused by a person’s genetic makeup rather than a lack of proper diet and exercise.
If you have excess fat deposits on your body that just won’t go away no matter what you do, liposuction may be the answer. By and large, liposuction reshapes specific areas of your body by removing localized fat deposits thereby improving your self-confidence.
This page will give you an overview of the liposuction process. In order to learn more about the procedure and see how it can work for you, meet with a qualified professional. A plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada can give you a better understanding of the process as it relates to your goals.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a plastic surgery procedure performed to remove excess fatty tissue from specific areas of the body. The process can be completed in a variety of ways. The three most common ones are:
- Traditional liposuction in which the physician surgically suctions out the excess fat deposits
- The tumescent or super-wet technique in which the plastic surgeon infuses saline solution with added adrenaline and anesthetic before removing the excess fat
- The ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty in which the surgeon uses ultrasonic energy to soften the excess fat and turn it into liquid before removing it
These techniques can be used to improve a person’s body contour by removing excess fat in the upper arms, back, breast or chest area, abdomen and waist, cheeks, chin, neck, hips, buttocks, thighs, inner knee, or calves and ankles. Depending on a person’s goals, this procedure can be performed alone, or in conjunction with a facelift, tummy tuck, or breast reduction.
Liposuction – Who is This Procedure For?
Liposuction is not meant for anyone that is obese or looking for a quick fix to avoid exercising and dieting. Ideal candidates should
- Be healthy, within 30% of their ideal weight
- Not have any medical conditions or life-threatening illnesses
- Be a non-smoker
- Be positive about the process and have reasonable and definite goals for improving their body proportions